Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Want My Life To Be Like Disneyland.

Sometimes I feel a little funny exposing myself while relating experiences I have during therapy sessions but this one was just too good to pass up! My step mom calls them "Ah Ha! moments" when you realize something you never realized before.
My mind keeps turning it over and over in my head and I'm having so much fun with it I thought I'd share it. So here is my Ah Ha! moment from my last therapy session. Today Dr. Bean told me that I want my life to be more like Disneyland when in reality... life is more like a National Park. I just started laughing cause the first images I got in my head were this....



(which is a picture of some people I don't know at an ugly national park... who I would not like to vacation with.)


Versus this....




....Which would you rather choose?!





But after stopping to think for a moment what he really meant by a national park, which would look more like this...




all at once the horrific truth of it all sunk into me! I couldn't get over it! It was the perfect analogy!

Sometimes I DO want my life to be like Disneyland. Who wouldn't? It's easy to be attracted to the bight lights and loud music! And I think it's okay for it to be that way sometimes but for the most part life is more....mature, for a lack of a better word. Filled with deeper beauties that may not be as exciting but are filled more with a peace and serenity that you can't find... even at the top of Space Mountain. I'll admit that sometimes I feel young and reckless and I do stupid things that make me feel good for an hour or two but they are never lasting. In the back of my mind I know they won't last. The rides can never go on forever and even if it did, what started out as an exhilarating rush of adrenaline slowly would turn to nausea and the employment of a barf bag.

Long lasting peace and happiness comes from a different kind of atmosphere. It may not be as exhilarating all the time, but I certainly wouldn't define National Parks as boring. Maybe for a 3 year old it would be, but that's what I mean about maturity. Growing and learning to appreciate beauty in simpler forms like watching your son ride a bike for the first time or eating a delicious Marsala Chicken Ravioli (which is my favorite dish at The Macaroni Grill). It's about taking time not only to see the beauty and wonder in things around you, but to appreciate them as well.

Today I would like to share some of the things we all notice and appreciate in our own "National Parks." Mine is going to be playing catch with Matt in the front yard yesterday while the kids took at nap. I was surprisingly warm which made for perfect weather and basking in the sun while tossing the ball around was the perfect way to enjoy it.

Your turn.

5 comments:

Jon and Cheryl said...

Disneyland is fun for a day or two, but eventually you have to get in the minivan and go home. I totally know what you mean. Sometimes the simple things are just as nice though. Jon and I have been BBQing a lot this week in our driveway (because our backyard/sideyard is too small). Anyway, we have this $2 Finding Nemo ball that we somehow always end up playing volleyball with, and Brady laughs so hard at us. While this whole scene looks a little strange, watching my kid laugh comes pretty close to Disneyland in my book :) --cheryl

Jamie said...

TOTALLY! What Cheryl said. After 12 years as a "young single adult" I got used to following my whims and making my life as exciting as I wanted it to be. It was a jolt to my system to learn that real maturity consists in gratitude...in confessing God's hand in all things...knowing He's there and orchestrating the perfect mortal experience for you and that if you cooperate, you'll be like Him and with Him someday. The small daily graces I try to find are moments with my kids and husband when I sigh to myself, "This is just like I dreamed it would be" or "this is what I prayed for." This attitude helps me as I wade thru laundry, dishes, mountains of poo and pee and barf, conflicts, hormones, yard work, etc...you know what I mean. All the daily work of motherhood can get you muddled, until you look up and cath a breathtaking glipse of something akin to Glacier National Park and your heart skips a beat and you KNOW you are where you were meant to be.
Thanks for sharing that analogy--it's perfect! And to me, you are Disneyland and Glacier all rolled into one! It's ALWAYS good to be with you! ;) Can't wait to celebrate your birfday together!!!

Lyndi said...

Disneyland just makes you tired. The last time we went it was so crowded with STROLLERS (of all things, if you're ridin' one of those things, ya can't ride the rides in DL) we could hardly walk. The lines fro the rides are too llong, anyway. I'll take a walk in the Gorge, by the waterfalls any day. I also like doing ANYTHING with my grandbuddies!!

Anonymous said...

Amie! So true! Having just been at Disneyland, I'm fresh from the experience of being thrilled on the rides, but the feeling goes away all too soon. And I got a blister on my foot. But tickling Emily and making her laugh so hard the way only I can will always make me happy- even just thinking about it! Also when Jason gets really excited about something and watching his face light up as he tells me about it is something I often enjoy.
So Disneyland-type experiences every now and then are fun for creating fond memories, but for everyday life? I'll take the Tetons.

Gardner Family said...

I had one of those days a few days ago - I was outside in my Mom's backyard sitting in her swinging love seat. The sun was shining just right ( not too hot, not too chilly) and I was watching Ben play on his tricycle and playground set. And I was blowing bubbles for Ben (but mostly for me). And I though man this is one of those moments - only thing missing was Dan sitting next to me. It was nice though - one of those times when everything seems perfect at that moment. :)