Monday, November 3, 2008

The Twilight Series

Photobucket

So I'm about 100 pages or so into the second book of the Twilight series, a series of books I'm enjoying more than I care to admit. If you haven't read these book yet, I'm giving you fair warning to stop reading right now because I'm sure I'll say too much.

Let me just preface this little rant by explaining tho that when I read books I REALLY get into them. Reading to me is like why people go to bars to get drunk. For me it provides an exceptional escape from reality, without the damaging effects to my liver. I can surface from Count of Monte Cristo, for example, and feel like I just spent the last few hours roaming the streets of France, Italy or the Isles of the Mediterranean. But much the same as an alcoholic, it can become unhealthy. My house going to a mess, my hair undone, my family getting frustrated which is why I have to keep it under control with my "reading times." Matt and the boys have to go to bed at an ungodly early hour to get their beauty sleep so that means if I'm not at work, which is seldom, I have a couple hours of pure uninterrupted vacation time! But when I say I "get into my books" it's more than just the settings I feel have changed around me, but I also tend to close my books feeling a little how the characters feel too. So, needless to say, at this certain place and time in my New Moon book....I'm PISSED! There I was reading in the late hours of the night when I suddenly slammed the book shut becoming instantly uninterested in reading any further! Let me back up...

So he leaves her right? Bearable, I can take that. I mean, how many more books was I really able to sit through where she lose her breath at his every touch? It was getting a bit repetitive and I knew he'd have to say goodbye at least once to shake things up a bit. I wasn't completely put off, yet. But I WAS curious to see when he would be resurfacing again... so I cheated. Quickly skimming through pages to see if I could spy his name anywhere. I didn't want to read ahead, I just wanted to see that his name eventually would come back again...soon. I flip 50 pages...nope. 100 pages...nada. 200 pages??!...nothing! 400 pages! 400 pages I had to flip until I saw his name somewhere again! That only leaves about 200 pages left for Stephanie to redeem herself! So OF COURSE I slammed the book shut, not wanting to depress myself anymore. Not really because he was gone, but because I knew Bella would be so depressed (and I told you that I normally feel how my characters feel). I didn't want to be depressed! I wanted to be exciting, curious and nervous as she was most of the time in his presence!

I know I'm going to have to pick it back up again sometime tonight but I will be very interested to see how Miss Mayer plans to keep my interest with 400 pages of no Edward. And not even no Edward, but no vampires at all! Umpf! I'm sure I'll get over it, so please don't try to comfort me by giving anything away in your comments. Just tell me I should keep reading.

4 comments:

Nichole said...

The second book ticked me off, too. I read it in a day, thinking that Edward would pop up any minute. It was very frustrating. I think she redeems herself with the third one though, so hang in there.

Saramajayne said...

Hey,
Well let me tell you I get really in to books also. In february I read all three book in a 2 week period. Needles to say Rob was very distraut because I the house was dirty and the clothes weren't clean and it was just I couldn't put the books down. The first book was amazing I read it in 3 days. The second book I cried and cried. I couldn't believe that He left. Broke my heart. I would like to go on but I can't because you aren't done with the second book yet. But if you ever want to talk about it you can call me any time. I am always ready to talk about twilight.

Nichole said...

I don't have the books myself, but I may need to put them on my Christmas list so I can read them again someday. However, I still have my friend's books, and she said you could borrow it. I'll be in your neck of the woods tonight, and I'll swing it by your house.

Miss Megan said...

Stick it out girlfriend. New Moon was actually my favorite in a lot of ways. Edward and Bella are far from over, but there are a lot of key things in this middle book that she ties up nicely in the last two. Although I have to admit I threw my copy of Breaking Dawn several times in frustration. If you think New Moon is bad...:) Still a lot of fun! Hang in there girlfriend! P.S. I am going to a Twilight party on the 21st for the opening of the movie. I can hardly wait!