Friday, November 21, 2008

The Review

The time has finally come. I took the night off work. I purchased my tickets in advance and made arrangements with all my girlfriends.

We bunched together in the first middle rows in excited chatter.

We saw.

And when the lights came back on, I was...satisfied. I wasn't in LOVE with the movie (as I knew I wouldn't be. I mean, what can really compare to the imagination to start with right?) but I liked it. I had my qualms of course. The scenes were too different from the book. The filming was too "low budget." Alice was too tall. Edward wasn't glittery enough in the sunlight and there's just no way that he would have been able to kiss her like that. ....not that I'm complaining. But all in all I enjoyed seeing these actors do their best to portray what Stephanie spelled out so meticulously in an overabundance of pages. It was a hard movie to embark on from the beginning just for that reason alone.

I'm hoping that the second and third films will reap the benefits of it's predecessor and have a big enough budget to improve on the special effects. I thoroughly enjoyed the casting though. Bella especially I thought was perfect for the part. As for Edward...*sigh. I think the authoress Shannon Hale summed it up best in her dedication to Collin Ferth:

"You're a really great guy, but I'm married, so lets just be friends."

6 comments:

Kristin and Seth said...

Wow you are an amazing writer, you capture the true moment though your words! Oh and the row machine I have got to try that! Last night was awesome, I found myself unable to stop thinking about whole night.

Nichole said...

Well said. I've decided I need to watch the movie again. I spent the whole movie noticing the many differences between how it was made and how I had it pictured in my mind's eye. I need to just sit and watch it as though I've never read the book. I kind of envy those ladies that hadn't read the book yet. It was so much easier for them to enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Even though it didn't match up to how I pictured everything when I read the book, I still loved it because there's just something about the visual reality. I wish they would have focused more on Bella and Edward getting to know each other, instead of putting that in a montage and rushing to the action. (That's one of the reasons I love the book so much, with it's incredible detail). It went by way too fast. I LOVED the humor in it! I saw it with a large group of girlfriends, and everyone liked it.

Nichole said...

Yes, I will definitely go with you. Does it play during the day? Call me!

Nichole said...

I think I'm going to the movie again tonight. I fessed up and told Micah, and he openly mocked me. Then, he felt bad and practically begged me to go. I'm still a little up in the air but leaning towards going.

Nichole said...

Yes, I did go see it again, and I have to admit I'm a little Twilighted out. Seeing it the second time made the low-budgetness a little more apparent as well as some over-acting that I hadn't paid attention to before. Also, there were a couple of scenes that I found to be lol funny that I don't think were supposed to be (ie, "Your blood is like a drug to me - my own brand of heroin". Ha ha!). So, after a second viewing my opinion is that I still love the book, and I appreciate the movie for trying, but I'll stick with the book.