Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bragging Rights


My hubs is always teasing me about what a penny pincher I am. It can be bad sometimes, I'll admit. I'm like the lady you see bargaining down the poor Tijuana kids selling Chicklets Gum. ....alright, so you've never seen that unless you've been shopping in Mexico with me.

I actually remember on a summer trip once to Mexico, with some collage friends, bargaining with a dirty middle-aged man about a swimsuit. I distinctly remember, after haggling for a good 20 minutes, saying "Common! You're cutting off my right arm here!" He looked at me with the most disgusted, insulted face like I'd mocked his one armed crippled child. I felt bad and immediately left the shop. That may have been taking it a little too far considering we were only discussing a difference of $10 or so.

I can't help it though! Garage sales especially. Once you've found your very first awesome garage sale deal, it's addicting. You never want to pay full price for anything ever again. Besides, certain baby equipment is essential and EXPENSIVE! .....Maybe this is why my friends want to throw a shower for me, cause they are afraid my baby will end up sleeping on used, soiled garage sale sheets. :) I normally only go for equipment though ...and from wholesome looking non-crackheads.

You should see some of the great things I've scored so far this season! It's turning out to be the ONLY good thing I've noticed about being pregnant in the summer.

Take for instance these 4 items:
Simple Wooden Snap Assemble Crib
Bought New: $115
I paid: $10
(Comforter and bumper homemade which also saved a few extra $$....and don't worry, sheets bought new from Target.)
Pink Baby Bouncer with Vibrating Seat
Bought New: $19.99
I paid: $7
Fisher Price Take Along Swing
Bought New: $70
I Paid: $10
Graco Infant Car Seat
Bought New: $89.99
I Paid: $1 ...ONE DOLLAR!
That car seat was definitely one of the best deals I've found. Granted it's the wrong color but it had zero stains and came with a base. If it really ends up bothering me that it's blue I'll just get a new cover. The lady just didn't want to put it back in storage and I was happy to help her out. :)

New is definitely best but when you're a growing family on a budget, used is sometimes your only option. If you start early though and bide your time you can find almost as good as new items. I love hearing about steals that other people have gotten so why don't you share one of you best!

9 comments:

Jon and Cheryl said...

I love finding great deals! I picked up a kitchen table at the bottom of our street for free (still in our garage in the process of refinishing...). However, I did get a Buzzlightyear backpack for Brady. Full price $15...Target clearance...$3 :) No special occasion needed for that one!

Marie Louise said...

I know this one guy who works for the ambulance crew who got a great deal on a motorcycle yesterday!! ;) LOL.

Aim said...

That poor man. I wanted to help him out, but decided to just stay completely out of it. Not my call. I still feel for him though, and his wife if he has one. Totally've been there.

I want pics of that table when you are done Cheryl! I saw it in your garage and can't wait to see what the finished product looks like! You can never go wrong with free. It must have been God's way of giving back to you after you so graciously gave your own kitchen table away.

Unknown said...

My wife is a penny pincher too, but she is also the no waste Nazi. Every last drop of shampoo, every scrape of the peanut butter jar, don't even think about using two paper towels where one will do the trick!

Jill Petersen said...

Yard sales are our new favorite thing to do on Saturdays. (me and the kids) We went past one with a whole section of free things about a month ago with my mom and there was a brand new pair of Champion black casual shoes that were so cute and they just happened to be in my size! I wear them everywhere and I have worn them to school a few times cause they are so comfy! I'll have to take a pic for you! My kids always pick out cool stuff. I always get Ally new books for a quarter or two, and the boys got new, still in the box speedracer toys for a dollar each last Saturday! Oh, and my new favorite jean capri's that are Lucky brand fit like a glove and they were 50 cents! Gotta love it!

I love all the baby gear you found. What a bargain shopper!

Joy Jill Barker said...

Oh Amy, I am the EXACT SAME! And Brian likes to remind me... "We are not POOR! I am buying this..." Seriously, they are packing up our things as we speak and two days ago we bought a used couch and love seat that look pretty darn good and clean for $100 total :) We finally have matching couches that aren't hideous! Yay :)Bargains are my favorite.

Aim said...

a good sofa/love seat for 100 bucks?! now thats a good buy! When are you going to stop galavanting in New Zealand? I miss your blog :(

Miss Megan said...

All hail the bargain shopping queen!

Seriously...you ROCK! I am majorly impressed (this coming from someone who spends her weekends going to yard sales, thrift, and consignment stores)!

Just catching up on all your posts...I just read the one about Disneyland! :( Sorry it was such a miserable time. Matt is like me, I do NOT deal well with crowds, which is why we usually go in January or February. Cool weather, and hardly any people, and if it rains we have the park to ourselves.

But I heard SD family reunion was a lot of fun - I'm glad you got to go and see everyone. P.S. I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but my niece and her husband just moved to Missoula. She says they love it so far, so I'm thinking I may need to make a trip out there sometime next year to visit you and her!

Take care! xoxo

TICYN said...

You found some really good deals on some really nice things...
I just don't have the patience to garage shop around until i find a deal..i'd rather go to where i can get it right away..

i guess it's a woman thing...