Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Never Again


Matt and I spent the past week and a good chunk of change on a trip to California. I distinctly remember thinking to myself as I bought the tickets a few weeks prior “oh, I am so spoiled! Getting to go to Vegas and Disneyland and the beaches of San Diego!” But oh boy, did I get that backwards! By the time I got back I was ready to kiss the cow dunged Montana ground!

We started out by landing in Vegas where it was 115 degrees. It felt exactly like walking into an oven. Now, imagine that….and then imagine that almost 7 months pregers. Sooooo ....not.... enjoyable. Every second spent in between air-conditioned buildings was absolute HELL. Literally! If I had to imagine what temperature hell would be, it would be 115 Vegas heat. I don’t know how people work/live there. I guess most of the people might as well get used to it since that whole place is gonna burn come Jesus.

Anyway, once we got in the rental car and got outta there the trip got better. We spent the night in LA gearing up for a full day of Disneyland. Oh and now would be a good time to mention that, as you know, we’ve been endeavoring to sell our house to get into a better neighborhood. HA! Driving down the NICE part of LA made my place look like suburbia heaven! Bars on all the windows, children running amuck taking candy from gagsters parked on porches getting high and yelling in Spanish. Matt kept on almost losing it driving around down there and I had to keep reminding him to stop eye-balling the black people. I try not to be racist but I was literally afraid of getting shot for no good reason.

At one point I told Matt I had to pee and he pulled into a liquor store parking lot that had bars encasing the whole store except the entrance where there was a nice group of thugs hanging out. I looked over and him with a face that said “really?” In his defense, he realized it wasn’t a good idea about the same time I opened my mouth to question his sanity.

Moving on. I’ll skip over Disneyland saying only that it really wasn’t as magical as I remember…or as big. It was hot, long and CROWED. I think the kids had a great time which is what we were aiming for but I’ve never had to see my husband exercise so much self control. He HATES crowds. Great thing we decided to go during peak season when everyone and their Mexican mama would be there!

I will say that things really did get a lot better once we got to San Diego. I really enjoyed being able to spend so much time with family that I hadn’t seen in so long. It honestly made the whole trip worth it. The only thing I love more than hanging with the Zauss/Madsen side is watching my husband and kids enjoying their company just as much as I do. We also 100% loved the beaches. Especially the tide pools over at La Jolla.

Unfortunately we had to leave things on a sour note by spending our last night in Vegas. Bla. Back to Hades in the ghetto Excalibur hotel that we thought would be fun but ended up smelling like cigarettes wherever you went and whose pool closes at 7pm. What kind of hotel closes it’s pool at 7pm???? We ended up drowning our sorrows eating waaaaay too much at the Caesar’s Palace Buffet, the most delicious and most expensive buffet I’ve EVER had. Every glutinous bite was worth it though.

Sooooo, other than those little tid bits and the fact that the water from the tap everywhere we went tasted like it’d been poured though Juan’s dirty field-worked sock first, that was our trip in a nutshell!

I came back more grateful than I’d ever been to live next to the hud in Helena, Mt. At least when I drive down the road I have 100 times more likelihood of seeing this:


Instead of this:


Course, you know that 10 years down the road, I'm going to forget all this and take the exact same trip NOT pregnant and completely enjoy myself.


ps- I know I just cracked a whole bunch on Mexicans just now but I must add that I had the best rolled tacos while I was down there. I'd almost drive through LA again to get more....almost.

9 comments:

Jamie said...

Your PS should be linked to Heidi's post about hating Mexicans...hahahaha! I looove Mexicans and I miss them so much, I am almost a reverse racist (whatever that is)--everytime I hear some one speaking spanish, I want to hug them, I get to homesick up here! But heck-to-the-yeah about the water and the air and the general environs--the more I travel, the more I want to stay home!!!! XOXOXO I miss you! I am glad you made it home.

Annie said...

love it....disneyland is much more do-able not pregnant and in the fall/winter.

got nothing for las vegas, but the 85 degrees i'm fighting in billings has my thighs chapped and searing.

Jon and Cheryl said...

Well I'm glad to know that San Diego was the highlight of your trip!! We sure loved having you, and Brady has asked for Sam and Jake to come over to play a few times :)

Aim said...

I stole that beautiful montana pic off you blog Jaim! Thats a real montana photo people!

Lyndi said...

Did you go to Olivero Street in LA? That is where the best rolled tacos and guac are. We used to go there with my cousins....our parents would give us all a couple of dollars and we'd get taquitos with one and some cheap souvenir with the other. We did Disneyland a few times.....the best time is in Dec. no one is there during the week, and the weather is great. We were sad that we didn't get to have you over for a couple of days. Your mom came by on Monday, she was on a census assignment that brought her to our neighborhood. it was great to see her. Miss you guys!

Jill Petersen said...

Man, I am so sorry! I know what you mean, I went pregnant with ben in late April and it was crowed and stinky then! Although, I don't live in beautiful Mt. I would have been thrilled to come home to that! I love you!

Aim said...

You got to see my mama? Man! Thats more talking than I've gotten with her this week. I tell ya what, she's a crazy busy lady! I call her Presidente now that she's RS Pres.

ps- jill- it WAS pretty stinky come to think of it! I think it was all the gross water for all the water rides. Can't be sanitary.

Heidi Reads... said...

You are hilarious! I love reading your tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. We're SO glad you guys made the trip! I think one of my favorite things of the weekend was watching all the kids play baseball together at La Jolla. And everyone building the community sandcastle. Those kids were busy!

Aim said...

I know! How cool is it that our family just sparks up little baseball games where ever we go? Sooo fun. And the little kids get so into it! I absolutely love it!