Thursday, June 10, 2010

Make Yogurt in a Crockpot!

Not kidding people! I got this idea from my friend Adele's website. Thanks Adele, your cooking site continutes to inspire! However, when I went to find the link again, I couldn't but HERE is one similar, so click on that for the actual instructions. It's a great idea and it tastes oh so good!

Here are some of the pics from my own process to prove that it actually worked!

You can actually eat it the way it come out of the crockpot but it's a bit soupy. Not bad, just a little. But I like my yogurt really thick (like the thick style yoplait) so I used Adelle's suggestion of disposable coffee strainers. They only had small ones available so I had to do about 8 of these cups simultaneously. I used simple paperclips to keep it suspended.

About 5 hours later....

Because I like it so thick, the cost in comparison to store bought was about the same: about 36 ounces for $3. Except for the fact that the homemade kind was smoother and creamier. Better quality all around. But if you like it a little thinner then you could really save some money.

This morning I enjoyed it with fresh strawberries, bananas and a little bit of maple syrup (which gives it that great maple flavor of brown sugar without the graininess). I was totally amazed. The average person can make yogurt!

1 comment:

Lyndi E. Drews said...

Aimless you are amazing! I love you and miss you!