Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Crash and Burn

I decided that I would try cross-country skiing today. So, I went to the sporting goods store, rented me some skis, boots and poles and gave it a shot out at the local golf course (which is a popular cross-country skiing place in the winter).

Things I learned:

Cross-country skiing is hard. J

Things I didn’t expect:

Falling down. I never imagined this would be a problem. I mean, how hard can it be? Just step and glide right? Apparently not so easy for me. And it always happened on the downhill which is supposed to be the funnest part!

Overheating. I wore waaay too many layers and it got hot, fast!

The smell. Although skiing next to the iced over ponds can be scenic, you're basically smooshing over a thick layer of snow covered goose poop. Yuck!

Things I did well:

1. ….ummm, choosing not to ski on the path close to the road so that people wouldn’t see that I looked like a doofus?


Overall consensus:

I've been watching too much Olympics.

Anyway, on a better note, I came home after my cross-country experience and made something new. Fiesta Raviolis! Mmmmmm! Soooo good! Inspired by the sister’s cafĂ© (my old roomie from college). Except I deep fried my raviolis and finished them off with taco toppings.

6 comments:

Aim said...

Just so yall know... it was my idea to deep fry the ravioli...

Matt

Love you Ames

Aim said...

...this is true.

Marie Louise said...

I make deep fried raviolies and dip them in spiced up marinara sauce for appitizers sometimes... also very good. I will have to try your recipie! Looks great!

BTW, I love to crosss country ski. I actually have my own stuff for that! We will have to go sometime.

Jamie said...

Yes! WE should all go together some time cuz Paradise Valley has great trails (less poop)and we actually have the gear and it's free AND we can finish off at CHICO!!!!!! :) Love ya! PS: got any plans for the birthdays? how close are we to an MOR trip???

Aim said...

For the boy's b-days I'm just having a small small party here for sam (with like 3 of his little friends) and we are doing Jake's at his school on his b-day. He wanted cupcakes with all his classmates. :) And we are a ways away from completing a star chart (we just started a new one last month). But I still want to try and shoot for doing an MOR trip around MY birthday (april 3rd). I betcha it might work out timing wise with the boy's star chart.

Matt's work schedule will change continually until he is out of training so I can't pin down any specific dates til it gets close but I wanted to shoot for around your girl's spring break since it is around the same time as my b-day. ya?

Aim said...

btw- Bubby is totally invited to come up for Sammy's party! It's going to be just for an hour in the middle of the day (12-1) but if you guys want to make a day of it and join us we'd love to have you!