Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Letter To My Boys





To Jake and Sam,

I knew I always wanted to have children but you made me want to be a mom. To do mom things like decorate your room cowboy style and make you chaps to match. Like finding 10 extra minutes to explore the gloriousness of your little toes. Like taking the time in the early hours of the morning to appreciate how perfectly your bodies form against mine as we snuggle down in the blankets, as if my body was made to cuddle yours.


I love that you ask me to sing to you every night before you go to bed. I especially love that I have an entire song made up completely dedicated to The Power Rangers.

I love that you play “pretend.” That the world is a pirate ship to you or a tropical jungle back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I wonder what it’s like sometimes to see the world through T-Rex’s eyes as you do. We all must look like tiny ants from way up there!


I love that you love each other. That when your father and I get upset with you over misbehavior that you give each other hugs of consolation. Sibling relationships will be the most important of your life.

I love that you love to be outside. That you enjoy nature even more than I do. That you expand your knowledge of the world by examining crickets up close in your tiny hands.

I am so looking forward to being your fulltime mom again so that I can spend every moment with you. If working fulltime has taught me anything, it’s that I want to be a mom. The old fashioned kind that gets up before everyone else does and wears an apron all day. Who makes cleaning fun like my sweet mother used to do by intertwining silly things into our “to do” list like go jump on the trampoline 10 times or go out and pet the horse.


I love and enjoy your company and the vibrancy of your imaginations. I am determined to be the best version of myself so that I can be the best mom for you.

All my love to you,

Mom


8 comments:

Brittany Celeste said...

That's lovely Amie.

Aim said...

I am so happy for you Amie. This job that I am about to embark on is not only a great blessing for me, but for you as well. I have wanted you to be home for so long. Our boys need you there at night and I feel so blessed to be married to a woman that loves to be a mom. I love you and I know our boys will always know how much you love them.

Matt

Marie Louise said...

You made me cry! Your words are my words, wispered to my own son as I watch him grow. What a wonderful world we live in where we can be the moms our beautiful children deserve. You are a wonderful mother and a beautiful spirit. Thank you for being my friends and reminding me what it looks like from the outside to be that kind of mom!

Miss Megan said...

That was a great tribute to moms! I LOVED it!

Cliff and Cynthia (at home at work at play) said...

Being a mom and being able to be at home with (and for) your children is one of the greatest blessing any woman can ever have. It's also a great blessing to the children.
Being the mother of my children holds many cherished memories.

Thanks for the great talks on Sunday nights. And especially for tonight.

Gardner Family said...

Yah comments are back!

That was beautiful Amie. So honest and straight from the heart.

I am so grateful to be able to be a full time Mom to Ben and Zach. I love them so much. I too love Ben's imagination. Last night his room was a hosptial ER and he was saving cookie monster. And this morning a puppy dog was sitting next to me. I had to be careful so he didn't bite me! ;)

The Lyon Den said...

I second that. I have been a mom now for five almost six months, and love every minute of it. I can't wait to see what kind of imagination she will have.
Christa(Gray)Lyon

The Laytons said...

I love this, Amie! Being a mom is so fun...we sure miss you guys! Come visit! - Kristen