Thursday, June 14, 2007

Whats all the halabalou about?

This is a blog dedicated entirely to the whims, wants, and desires of my very own heart. Therefore it's hard to categorize it into a stereotype, for instance: this is a blog for mom's, this is a blog for fishermen, or this is a blog for the boogie man, who we all know lives under the bridge on Dehsea Rd where I grew up. Nope, there is no rhyme, reason or regularity to these rants. I simply discovered one day after the loss of a very good computer friend that I miss so very much the creative writing and debating I used to do.

Let me start out by describing a bit of myself for those of you who don't know me or perhaps even those who think they may know me yet have much to discover. Why, I had an eyeopening experience on the subject of defining myself just the other day! It came when my husband and I were watching the series Scrubs. As we sat there enjoying the wit and humor of hospital colleagues working together with long-winded outbursts, comical embarrassments, and romance, we decided to try and determine which character was most like ourselves. My husband of course was the main character J.D. A smart, slender yet toned, tall handsome intern who has a little bit of a geeky side. Mine on the other hand was a little harder to find.

*Enter Jordan* And there she was... I was horrified! Every time I try and describe Jordan she comes out sounding extremely mean and selfish with an outspokenness that zeros in on the insecurities people wear on their sleeves....and I'm not going to willingly own up to THAT! All I can say is if you want to get a glimpse into Amie Post's head go rent an episode of Scrubs and see Jordan in all her sarcastic glory. The best way I can think to describe it to you is this way.....have you ever walked away from a debate or argument and spent the next 2-3 hours dreaming up all the wonderful words and phrases that would have slammed your opponent so hard you're sure it would have sent them running home to Mommy? And ooooh how you wish you could have thought of those catchy one liners hours ago when you where still in the debate? Yeah.... I'm not one of those people and neither is Jordan.

Unfortunately we both have been blessed with the instant ability to say whatever on our mind and, more often than not, with a bit of a sting. The difference between Jordan and I though is that Jordan's character says these things right out loud and I, on the other hand, am still mastering the ability to not even think them at all! I really honestly and truly want to be a sweet, kind, sensitive person that believes theres good in everyone but that Jordan in me is a hard woman to stifle! It's a work in progress.

I should probably note however that the 24 years practice I've had thus far on this particular problem has given some improvement. On the whole I really am a cheerful person. I enjoy doing things for other people, taking long bike rides with my kids, eating green apples and sitting in the sun. Jordan really only comes out to play if A.) you annoy me or B.) you make me mad. Aside from that however, I have absolutely no problem being Amie and tying and gagging Jordan. If God has blessed you with a nasally voice however or you do NOT believe in the existence of a watermelon heart, chances are you'll meet Jordan first.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I love you Ames and I think you are a wonderful person!!!