Friday, February 25, 2011

Credit Cards

Every year we get a tax return, and every year the majority of it is spent on one thing...credit card debt. January resolutions always inspire us to start all over again. Re-write the budget and stick to it, gosh darn it! Every year we keep the credit cards with the excuse that we NEED them in case of emergencies. Yet, in the past 5 years that we've had them....they have NEVER been used for emergencies. Never. They always end up being used for "wants." Wants that we couldn't afford but just had to have.


Well... NO MORE! We are breaking our ties with you, you unnecessary evil! Goodbye credit cards. I'm sure I'll miss you when I've spent all my money for the month and walk past those adorable pumps in Ross. But I will console myself with the idea that future tax returns will be mine and not yours. Had to post this pic with Emily in the background. She looks more upset than I do. Don't worry Emily, I'm taking drastic measures so you have money for college and a pretty white dress someday. Can't complain though really because there was enough leftover for me to buy something that I've wanted for years. Behold....the kitchenaid:
What are your plans for your tax return?

6 comments:

Marie Louise said...

I love it!! Mark and I don't have credit cards either. We keep saying we should get one for emergencies, but knowing my husband like I do, his idea of an emergency and mine is probably very different! His would involve something with an engine and 2 wheels, while mine would involve the medical bills incured by said engine with 2 wheels....
If I do get one, it will be in MY name, and I will keep in in my underwear drawer where I keep all the stuff I don't want him to get ahold of! (shhh don't tell him).

Aim said...

haha! love that your expenditures would be for motorcycle parts and then mark's injury bills! that is TOTALLY my Matt!

Jamie said...

YAY for you guys! We did that for 7 years and life was good. We got a card for our Europe trip and we've used it for "emergencies" ever since and it's not that great. Freedom from debt is always better! ANYHOOOO...I'm getting the living room rug I've been eyeing for 3 years (if it's still in stock--last year I went to but my first choice and I'd waited so long it wasn't made anymore). And I am splurging on a new stroller/carrier for baby and gittin' my hair did. (PS: We went to Chico Saturday night and we all really missed you guys!)

Gardner Family said...

So happy to say that we are practically debt free besides our car! Weee! We have one credit card. And that is our Military Star card. We were told by a mortage lender one time that not having credit cards were hurting our score. So we purchase a few items on that like gas, or when we need a new washer/dryer. And then pay it off to improve our score.

Our tax return came early this year. We went a little wild. Looking back we spent it on things we needed. But more on what we wanted. I wish we would have put more in savings. But we are doing that with each paycheck as well as money towards our family vacation at the end of the year. So here is a break down of our tax spending....
-Military Star card big payment
-Moving/first months rent
-Caught up on Tithing
-Clothes for boys
-Maternity clothes
-2 new tires for car
-Big Costco trip
-A few eating out trips as a family (ex:Olive Garden)
- A big bill from our debt list
- My late birthday/early V-day present(A Pearl Necklace!)
- Dan bicycle stuff
- Dan clothes and shoes

Next year I hope we have more control with spending. Our goal is to become savers as opposed to spenders! ;)

Aim said...

Oh Jamie, I think that as soon as it gets just a little bit warmer that it will be high time for Emily to introduced to the wonderfulness that is Chico! Can't wait!

And Leah, way to be almost debt free lady! That is REALLY something to celebrate! Hope it stays that way after that little girl comes along with hospital bills. haha. Course you are still on military insurance so you will pay nothing...hate you for that. haha.

Gardner Family said...

I do not take for granted one minute that we have had our babies with military insurance! So grateful for that!! :)Seriously...when Megan told me how much she paid/is still paying to have Peter.....well we just might have stopped at 1! ;)

Ironically the last of our debt is school bills and medical bills. Has to do my derm/skin cancer bills that just did not get the authorization in the right order or approved quick enough. And they are not huge by any means. But ironic that we have medical bills debt and supposenly have "free" insurance. ;)