Monday, February 9, 2009

Forced Anorexia

Photobucket

So I picked up this new job a few weeks ago working in the nursery at my gym just for a couple hours a week in the mornings. My shift runs right through lunchtime but not a problem, I think to myself. I’ll just bring lunch along with me. They have a microwave and a mini fridge after all. I’m sure people do it all the time! Even though there wasn’t any trace of food around. Humm...

Next day at work, everything’s is going according to plan. We get a little bit of a lul in business. Not that many kids, perfect time to break out some fettuccini in garlic cream sauce from the Mac Grill. I warm it up and give it a stir thinking how spoiled I am that my leftovers come from a nice restaurant and I didn’t have to cook. I dig in and take my first bite. Right as I’m about to swallow, little Will comes over with a river of thick green snot, oozing out both nostrils. The thickness and consistency of it is enough to make me loose my appetite mid-bite. I look away, choke down what I have (almost not making it) and grab a tissue. He’s off to play again but I know I won’t be able to look at my beautiful fettuccini alfredo until I can wipe that image from my mind. ….it’s been 2 week, and I can still see it plain as day.

Now I may not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I learned my lesson enough to know that slimy stringy things for lunch aren’t going to work. So I pack a cold cut sandwich for the next day hoping I won’t run into anything unappealing that reminds me of ham on whole wheat. I didn’t. Phew! But as I’m eating, one of the little girls named Hanna asks if she can sit on my lap and read me her story. Sure I think. Whats the harm in that? …apparently her breath wasn’t within my range at the time for this little darling dear had THE most putrid smelling stench wafting out of her mouth that I have ever encountered. Like sour milk and throw up kinda mixed together. And in her moment of exuberant animation she literally spits one of the words at my face and all I can think is “IT’S ON ME!!! IT’S ON ME!” I smiled, scooped her off my lap, and as I scrubbed my face in the sink I sigh quietly to myself at the fact that if I ever have a little girl, I'll never be able to name her Hanna. The half eaten sandwich goes back in the ziplock where is stays for the rest of the day. Humm….no contact with children while eating….check.

I’m starting to see why there was no food in the fridge on my first day.

The next week, I forgo the thought of lunch altogether and think more along the lines of snacking til I get home. I search high and low for something… ANYTHING that is not wet and gooy. Cheddar Cheese fish crackers is what I decide is safe and I eat them while the kids are distracted with a movie. I focus intently on the cold hard steel of the building next door. Nothing soft or mooshy that would remind me of the 10 goopy noses I’ve already wiped today. But I’ve forgotten one more element. So easy, so obvious, the ultimate weapon at their disposal to ruin my desire for food altogether. It was in that moment when the potent certain smell of someone else’s poop came drifting into my nostrils that I gave up completely. I decided from that moment on that I would rather starve than eat anything at this place. No more planning or ideas…. because poop trumps all.

8 comments:

Jon and Cheryl said...

Yikes, I don't think I ever want to send Brady to the gym nursery again with the thought of goopy green noses!! Yes I still have that cute pink hat and it does fit her...but it might not fit her next week :) I'll have to email you a pic of it. I need your new email address by the way. I wasn't sure how I'd do with a girl after having a boy, but she is just the most precious thing ever!!

Kristin and Seth said...

Yuck! I can relate, I watch two extra kids everyday and it can get disgusting. Maybe once summer rolls around their won't be as many goopy noses! Cross your fingers!

Me said...

Your posts are hilarious! We miss you here in Wellington, good thing we have your dad to keep us entertained! Do you remember me, Sarah? We played at the park a few times and I am in your parents ward. Carolyn told me what your blog address was and I have had fun reading your posts.

MaiTy said...

LOL, I was silly enough to try and eat string cheese while I read your post. I had to choke it down. Bad timing on my part. I know we're still in school, and I know we're crazy. I can't wait until it's over. We would LOVE to have kids in the near future, but it seems as though that's just not in the cards for us yet. Not in the next 9 months anyway. What about you guys? Your youngest is getting quite old....just kidding.

Jill Petersen said...

I think I have become immune to all of that, after tending for years and years. It must be a blessing right? Actually I wish I could have forced anorexia! Maybe I would lose some weight! Ha ha!!! Sorry you have to deal with all of that though. Daycare's really are gross! At least I get to tend from home. A bit less gross I think!

Brittany Celeste said...

You had me laughing the whole way through!! I remember those days fondly, except we had to actually change the kids. Thanks for a good smile!

Anonymous said...

Poop trumps all. So profound, and true.

Miss Megan said...

A ha ha ha ha! I totally feel your pain sistah - this chica is in nursery right now. The minute those snacks come out I am a hand-washing, sanitizer-toting NAZI! All the other moms in there will help themselves to stale marshmallows and dry cereal, but let me tell you I could be starving on a deserted island and still couldn't touch those things! Every week when we come home from church, the first thing Peter does is climb up to the sink for a good scrubbing.