Friday, June 13, 2008

Superpowers


This morning I was watching a Good Morning America special on Stan Lee, the comic creator who is the genius behind well known titles such as Spiderman, Ironman, and the Incredible Hulk. During the interview the lady turns to him and says “what kind of mind creates these comics? What is your inspiration?” and I said to myself “are you kidding??? The man MUST have a two year old!!" I mean think about it…a character that swings from anything and everything? A character who flies so fast, no one can keep up with him? A character who can’t control his temper and turns into a beast??? Oh yeah, I think I got a couple of those at home. Anyway, I decided I’m going to make my first million developing a comic strip based off my boys. It’s brilliant! I have an endless amount of material! Then it got me thinking…if I were to assign superhero abilities to my family, what would they be? I've decided that Jake would get invisibility because they boy has a nack for disappearing. Take for instance the story Matt related to me a few days ago:

He was in Walmart with Jake looking through the clothes. Jake, of course, was walking around going in and out of the middle of all the clothes racks, hiding. (humm…sound familiar mom?) Anyway, long story short, Matt loses Jake, spends 10 minutes looking for him then finally goes to the front to report a missing child. Apparently when you do this, Walmart transforms into Ft Knocks. No joke. They shut the whole place down, no one goes in or out, and every employee who isn’t on a register reports to the front so they can do a full sweep of the floor. They found him within 3 minutes, lost in the home decor. I was very impressed by this story and thankful that Walmart had such a plan in the event that my son would inevitably wander off. Besides that Jake is amazing at playing hide and go seek. You can be looking right where he is hiding and he won’t move a muscle or say a word!

For Sam, I’d have to say super speed. Like Dash. Have you seen this little guy when its time to go to bed? It’s a miracle how this boy escapes down the stairs so fast without breaking a limb! That, and if you are in public and he gets that mischievous look in his eye, you'd better just put a hand on him to be safe.

I asked Matt what he thought his superpower should be and he said the Incredible Hulk. Before I started working I would have never believed this but lets just say that you never want to be around this man after hes been trapped in the house with the Invisible Man and Speedy Ganzalas for more than 8 hours. Any little thing can set him off after that. Luckily my shifts aren’t usually more than 6 hours so I hardly see that side, but I could see how it could happen.

As for myself I couldn’t really think of anything except Matt is always saying I have super strength cause he’ll come home and all the furniture is rearranged. I always tell him it’s cause I just had a sudden urge for change and couldn’t wait til he got home. Plus if we are ever wrestling and I can manage to lock my legs around his midsection, it's over!

It’s kinda fun to think about. If you could give yourself a superpower (one that goes with your personality not just one you’d like to have) what would it be?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your fun posts Amie Post!
Okay, so I'm a total nerd and googled "superpowers" so i would know what I have to choose from :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comic_book_superpowers)

So the easiest one to choose was for Emily- she gets Sonic Scream: the ability to generate vocal sounds of a higher amplitude than a normal human.

Jason gets Matter Ingestion: the ability to consume any sort of matter without any ill effects on the user.

And while others may want to peg me with Superhuman Intelligence (just kidding) I opted for Omniscience: the ability to know anything and everything. Which means that Jason would have to finally admit that I'm always right!

Cliff and Cynthia (at home at work at play) said...

This is a fun one, Amie. Hmmm yes, I did think of the clothes racks even before I could read your writing about it--and it's not that I'm a slow reader! You in the clothes racks is something I'll NEVER forget!
Well, I looked up some super heroes too and the one I think I am most like is "Johnny Qwest" info found at this link http://www.pazsaz.com/questtra.html because I LOVE adventures! I guess I'd have to change my name to Janey Quest.

RRantamaki said...

My superpower would have to be sarcasm (so, in a pinch, I can always borrow Superman’s outfit – since we’d share the same superpower initial).

”More powerful than a mouthful of barb-wire. Able to thwart stupidity with a single quip. Look! Up in the stands! It’s an audience member! It’s a courtroom stenographer! It’s Sarcastic Man!” [Sounds of sarcasm rushing by]

When last we visited our hero he was at an all-night diner, waiting for his order to be taken…

WAITRESS: “What’ll you have?”
SM: “I’ll have the patty-melt pla—“
SM’s WIFE: “Wait, I’m not ready to order yet.”
SM: “Huh? You’re not ready to order?”
SM’s WIFE: “No, I’m not ready to order.”
SM: “You mean for the past 20 minutes, while we’ve been waiting for the waitress to recognize our presence, you have been unable to decide which of the 6 items on the menu you want to order?”
SM’s: “That’s right.”
SM: “Pick something! Anything! Cause the sun will come up before this waitress glances in our direction again!”
[WAITRESS snaps her chewing gum]
SM’s WIFE: [staring at menu] “I just don’t know…”
WAITRESS: “Take your time; I’ll come back in a bit.”
[WAITRESS leaves to resume chat with disheveled, and obviously drunk, customer. Someone’s getting lucky tonight – and it ain’t the drunk.]
SM: “Ah jeez.”

Tune in next time when our hero chooses the wrong line at the DMV.


Rick Rantamaki
rick@jsace.com
http://rantamaki.blogspot.com/

Miss Megan said...

Ooh. I like this post. Mike and I are a big fan of the X-Men movies, so we have actually had this discussion before...GEEKS TO THE CORE! Anyways...I would love to have the ability to fly. I could transport myself anywhere and avoid the traffic, road rage, air-fare and of course gas. Breathing under water would be pretty sweet too. I think Mike said his favorite superpower would either be super strength or invisibility. I'm not sure how I could apply that to my daily life, but I could use super sonic hearing from time to time. I always know PK is into trouble when the house gets really quiet. Mommy radar and all that.

Jamie said...

I'm Captain Furious because of my short fuse, but I wish I could fly--or just "genie" myself to where I want to be (you know, fold arms, nod head and *blink*--I'm there!).

TINNY said...

Ant five!! wat up just sayin hi.