Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Helping or Haunting?

The past is a horrible and wonderful thing at the very same time. Parts of it make us smile, parts of it have the ability to find our elusive and genuine belly laugh. Parts of it make us cry and others can take us from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. Human lives are so intertwined and complex though that it’s hard sometimes to remember the good without remembering the bad. You’ll see that if you’ve ever made a real mistake in your life (and by real, I mean one you would take back all together if you could) then even a good walk down memory lane can be interrupted by a bad decision or person who hurt you. Unless you have selective memory loss, which I’ve noticed is more of an active choice rather than a disease.

Heres what always happens to me. Something will strike a chord and I’ll remember something from my past. If it’s bad, I start doing something else to get rid of the thought. If it’s good, sometimes I’ll stay zoned out for several minutes thinking about it. But inevitably if I stay in dreamland, it isn’t long before any kind of bad memory will rear it’s ugly head to ruin the moment. Always. So I guess that’s why I try not to think about the past much anymore. At all. But is that a bad thing, or a good thing?

Even our “bad pasts” serve a purpose. Just like a child who touches a hot stove for the first time, the burn reminds us that we never want to do that again. But it’s such a shame that our beautiful bodies have to carry the scar as a reminder that all would have been better had we listened the first time when someone warned “don’t touch that!” The question might be then, how do we WEAR our scars? And I’m talking any scar. Self inflicted or imposed by another.

Are they bright burning scarlet S’s? Do we cup it sorrowfully with our hands to symbolize that someone has hurt us and that the wound keeps us in constant pain? Do we look at it constantly to remind us of the vendetta we carry? “My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father, prepare to DIE!” Do we hide them as best we can with long sleeves and band aids to avoid personal criticism? “Bow to the Queen of Slim. The Queen of filth! The Queen of Putrescence! Boooo!” (sorry, Princess Bride just has some GREAT quotes in it for me today!)

The great thing is that, like so many things, it’s a choice. It’s a conscious effort to keep your scars however you may. A conscious effort to keep your past wherever it lies. The other good comfort is that the Atonement can heal all. Looking at any gaping wounds you may have right now, it’s hard to see that a full recovery could ever take place, but it can….if you let it. It takes time and patience but the biggest reality to remember during the healing process is that there is a life happening right now. YOUR life. And if you let the scars from your past take over your thoughts too much, one day you’ll wake up and find that the time you’ve spent wishing away the past is just another thing you’ll wish you didn’t do. After all, “time spent wishing, is time wasted.” How true that is.

6 comments:

Lyndi said...

Amie, You are so eloquent....what you said is SO true. It also goes along with wanting or needing to be a victim. We all make mistakes that hurt ourselves and others(especially those who love us the most) Some are acts or sins of commission and some are sins of omission...but we have to let the Atonement work in our lives. We have to accept it and let it in. Healing does come, you are right, it does take time, but it Does come when we turn it over to the Lord and free ourselves of the burden. Matthew chapter 25:40 and Matthew chapter 11:28-30..If we can just remember those things, we'll be fine. Hey I love you, keep up the good work!!!

Jamie said...

I love you sooooooo much! I am more grateful that you know for you in my life and (of course) in my brother's. The thought of you strenghtens my faith in our Savior & His atonement everyday...our kind wise Heavenly Friend who lives and loves us til the end.

Jill Petersen said...

You always say the things I want to say. Especially tonight when I am dwelling on so much of my past but remembering the "burn" and the Atonement. I appreciate all you write about. It's amazing to read what you are thinking! Love YOU

michaeledrews said...

Very Well put Amie! I was very happy I got to spend the time with you and matt, that i did. You guys are so happy and strong. Isn't the Atonement amazing. The two years of my life that I fully gave to the lord has help me come to the understanding of what the Atonement encompasses. It seems as if you have a very well understanding your self. Know that I love you and am greatful to know and learn from you! have a great day!

Miss Megan said...

AMIE! I hear you, I seriously do! AMEN...I totally get where you're coming from, and I agree with you. It's a fine balance between living in our past and moving on with our lives. Never forgetting who we are, but hoping to make things better for tomorrow.

We just watched a cute Disney flick last night, which seemed to go right along with this post. If you have a chance you should rent "Meet the Robinsons" for the boys...the message was great. No matter what your past, "Keep moving forward". We all have set-backs and disappointments, problems and challenges, but moving forward is what will impact us the most.

I realize I just made a pretty "duh" statement, but sometimes it's the little things that turn the light switch on! Love ya!

Jill Petersen said...

Just so you know the drive home from your house last time when you gave me those cd's to listen to I had Nothing Left To Lose on one and I would crank that baby up and cry. Now when I read your post in is haunting! I listen to that song and get teary eyed. Things have been a little tough right now anyway. I love you Amers. I'll call you soon.